Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Illinois is ass backwards

I had a very pleasant, productive conversation with Suzy Woods, Visiting Director of Disability Services at UIS, this afternoon; during the course of which I discovered that UIS Lincoln Residence Hall is indeed ADA compliant, but here's what that means:

LRH is ADA compliant because residence halls are classified as "transient housing." In the words of Eddie Murphy, "Let's talk about that." Other spaces classified in like manner are motels. The term "transient" is most often used to refer to .... come on readers, you know this one ... the homeless! So, the government considers students residing in residence halls analogous to homeless people living in motels, or ...can somebody say "crack house!"?

My home state has laws and procedures in place that require residence halls to meet conditions above the "transient housing" mark, but Illinois still has nine institutions dedicated to housing the mentally disabled, the kind of places no doubt that were revealed as cesspools in New York state in the late 70s. Why? Because these
"institutions" are staffed by well paid union workers.

I had high hopes when I moved to Illinois, a union state. I now see it as a rheumatic old man chocking on red tape.

5 comments:

Crazy4bunnies88 said...

Why does everyone have to do everything half assed any more? What happened to the idea I was raised by; I can do anything I want regardless of my disability. People with disabilities, regardless of their disability, are entitled to the same education as the able bodied. Although not everyone with a disability has a physical limitation, they are able-minded. If I wasnt able-minded I dont think I would be in a collegiate level honors program. People with disabilities struggle enough with their problems. They shouldnt have to struggle with "authority" to get the help they need and deserve.

Curt said...

There will be a third party representative conducting one on one confidential meetings with students who receive services from ODS on campus in March to discuss the very issue you've raised

Mrs Advocatus of Right said...

IDK.
Bruce Hall = crack house?
Maybe.
:)

Curt said...

Bruce Hall kept higher standards, thanks to the legacy of Gov. Richards ; and at lease in my day, the hall director actually tried to get addicts into treatment, so "halfway house" might be more accurate. I miss Denton.

Mrs Advocatus of Right said...

I miss it a lot.